The John Frederick Steinman and James Hale Steinman Foundations were established in 1951 and merged to become The Steinman Foundation in 2014.
Brothers John Frederick and James Hale Steinman were successful businessmen who lived in Lancaster County their entire lives. They seeded the private foundations primarily with their own funds to provide grants that would give back to the community.
From their inception, the foundations were supported by contributions from businesses still owned by the Steinman family. LNP MEDIA GROUP, Inc. and Intelligencer have made sizable annual contributions. These funds, along with prudent investments, enabled the foundations to increasingly support the needs of Lancaster County and will continue to allow The Steinman Foundation to do so in the future.
The Steinman Foundation’s grant-making activities reflect the desire of the founders to help improve the quality of people’s lives through support for organizations with clear statements of purpose, well-defined programs and strong and competent leadership.