The mission of LNP is to be the source of news and information for every resident of Lancaster County and to provide the means for every business and individual to communicate directly with the residents of Lancaster County.
Few communities in the nation have newspaper roots as deep as Lancaster’s or owner families as committed to their papers. The daily newspaper was first published in Lancaster in 1794, and is one of the oldest newspapers still publishing in the United States.
The Intelligencer Journal itself represented a merger — of the Intelligencer and the News Journal. The Intelligencer had been an afternoon newspaper until it combined with the morning News Journal in 1928. The publication dated from The Lancaster Journal, founded in 1794.
The Lancaster New Era dates back to 1877. In 1920, the New Era merged with the Lancaster Examiner, a newspaper that had been started in 1830. Three years later the Examiner-New Era was renamed the Lancaster New Era and Examiner, and the paper dropped “Examiner” from its nameplate entirely in 1928.
In that year, Lancaster’s Steinman family, which had been in the newspaper business here since the 1860s, bought the New Era from Paul Block. Block was a national publisher with formidable resources whom the Steinmans had outlasted during a “newspaper war.”
The Lancaster New Era and Intelligencer Journal merged in 2009.
The Sunday News was established by James Hale Steinman and John Frederick Steinman in 1923. It was Lancaster County’s first local Sunday newspaper.
In 2012, the Sunday News, which had its own staff, became part of a united newsroom.
On Oct. 16, 2014, the newspaper was renamed LNP and given a new look, a sharper focus and easier-to-use sections and pages. These changes reflect LNP MEDIA GROUP, Inc.‘s deep and ongoing commitment to meeting the print and digital needs of our growing audience, our valued advertisers and customers, as well as Lancaster County.
8 West King Street
Lancaster, PA 17603
PO Box 1328
Lancaster, PA 17608-1328
Front desk telephone: